Sunday 11 March 2007

The start

I have been at this for about 6 weeks now, since the end of January and I feel I am beginning to make some progress in many areas. My initial meeting with Harrold and Xavier was odd and I felt it threw me a bit. The various options of Gambia, Lonely Planet, FTO, were not really discussed, but thrown at me. I was quite excited by the options, but I didn't quite know how to process them.

The Hannover trip to the Reisepavillion was very useful and gave me a great insight into how these organisations work. I got to meet some influential people including Chris Thompson from the FTO. I felt he was a guy I could work with.

Back to the drawing board with CSR. What is CSR - why am I looking at it?

I have been fairly methodical over the past month or so. I have searched out a number of articles and have got something of a system going now. Almost everything I have is detailed in Endnote and filed.

The current focus is on the relationship between CFP and CSP with no focus on Tour Operators.
I don't know if it has been done, but I hope to look at a reputational index for TOs and rank them. This way more accurate measurements could be taken of CSP in relation to CFP.

The first step is to look at the CSP/CFP literature and pinpoint why a single-industry approach is needed. My chosen industry will be tourism. Rather than looking at CFP, I will focus on the CSP measure, and try to break it down.

This might mean a serious analysis of the current measures, like Fortune.

Over the next week I need to write a couple of thousand words on where I am up to. I have only really looked up to about 1988, so I have plenty to get through.

No comments: