Friday 16 January 2009

Supervisor meet 15/1

meet with HG and XF
not decided how constructive it was
it was the first meeting with HG in about 9 months
the focus was very much on him as opposed to XF

They had these three bits: CSP-FP, Experience, RT

HG had a real bee in his bonnet about CSR bit. He seemed to think I was missing the point. He sees what I am looking at as very distinct from the CSR debate. I don't really. He said to look at what Andreas did last Summer - and the CTI - whatever they do.

As far as I was concerned I was just highlighting the issues of trying to link social performance to financial performance throught the CSR way. Thereby signposting my way. Whatever I wanted to say, it obviously wasn't clear, as neither really got it. If I am going to critique them, then I have to critique them - HGs point was that they just look for links, not correlations - not causal relationships - do they? I was pretty sure they were looking for something - but ned to look at it again. Ultimately,need to secure in my mind why CSR is in there, given how complex the study is anyways. HG seems to be plotting a path of CSR which has splintered into all sorts of different areas, not particularly where I am going. I honestly don't know where CSR is at, but I know that there was a huge amount of attention to this CSR-FP link at one point.

Part of this is to re-highlight objectives.

To do list:
1. Rehash whole chapter
2. Objectives
3. Time line in months
4. Ethics
5.Get Jim straightened out
6. Word budgets

In terms of the RT stuff - HG again had a bit of a bee in his bonnet
Doesn't like the overall tone of my bit, because it just slates everything.
Need to take a slightly more nuanced approach - need to pick out what is useful and what is not - can't just say it is all rubbish.
HG suggests ditching the table. I agree.
Need to highlight what is supply and what is demand.
HG launched a defence of his aspirations - i am slill deeply sceptical, but acknowledge that I need to try to see some positives.

Look at populus surveys, and more closely at mintel demographic data.

Lots to do. I really feel I should pepper them with stuff. It will be like pingpong and a lot of work, but if I had all of this wit them in a week....

No comments: